Preventive dental care is important throughout your life, no matter your age. By practising good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular check ups with Dr Mass, you can help keep your smile bright and healthy for many years to come.
Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent the buildup of plaque and cavities:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush. Use fluoride toothpaste to remove food particles and plaque from the tooth surfaces. Also, be sure to brush the top surface of your tongue; this will remove any extra plaque causing food particles, and help keep your breath fresh!
- Clean between your teeth by flossing at least once a day. Floss will help remove plaque and food particles from between the teeth and under the gum line.
- Eat a balanced diet, and try to avoid sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese or fruit can help keep your smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular check ups with Dr Mass every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- If you play sports, be sure to ask Dr Mass about custom made mouthguards designed to protect your smile.
Flossing: Step 1
Wind about 18 inches of floss around your fingers as shown. Most of it should be wrapped around one finger, and the other finger takes it up as the floss is used.
Flossing: Step 2
Use your thumbs and forefingers to guide about one inch of floss between your teeth.
Flossing: Step 3
Holding the floss tightly, gently saw the floss between your teeth. Then curve the floss into a C-shape against one tooth and gently slide it beneath your gums.
Flossing: Step 4
Slide the floss up and down, repeating for each tooth.
If it’s been six months since your last dental check up, then it’s time to contact our practice and schedule your next appointment!